Saturday 2 February 2019

Theorising and mistakes



If I am anything, I am a theorist. This doesn’t mean to say I am impractical; I simply like to construct an edifice which I will modify in the course of time if or when practice proves it ineffective or circumstances change and I have to adapt.

I find the way coursebook material is arranged too linear for the needs of the learner even with the revision sections thrown in. I prefer to customise and contextualise revision in ways that tease my students’ brains.

To cut a long story short, like most teachers in this world, I realise that no matter how many times my students have been corrected about small mistakes like the ending in the third singular person of Simple Present or the plural of nouns or the difference between adjective and adverb form in British English, they will consistently repeat the same mistakes when they write or speak.

Therefore, I came up with the idea of purposely omitting different kinds of endings in texts which are otherwise easily manageable for the students’ level.  Of course, I indicate by highlighting the items for correction  that there is something missing and they have to add it by focusing on content and accuracy.

The students responded very well to this type of exercise which recycles all kinds of different grammar points taught over a longer period of time than a couple of weeks, which is what an average revision unit covers in a coursebook.

The following is a news item I used to apply this all-round revision and raise awareness of simple mistakes.


No comments:

Post a Comment