Sunday 10 November 2019

Teaching as a process and ... reality shows



Teaching is a process and not necessarily a controlled one – quite the opposite, I would say. A great deal depends on the response(s) of the students to what is an intended teaching point. Their understanding of it will allow the teacher to move on to the next step. On the other hand, difficulty in comprehension could mean either that the teacher has to expand this particular step in the process or even that it should be deferred to the future, when the students will be more mature and ready to assimilate the new item.
Rather than following a series of steps suggested in a course book, particularly at a more advanced level, I prefer to design a process myself taking into consideration my students’ knowledge and needs. In this manner, I manage to cut out activities which are pointless because my students have already consolidated their knowledge of those particular items.

On the other hand, in a lesson plan of my own I have the opportunity to fit in material-- exercises or vocabulary-boosting activities -- which will be more relevant to my students. What is more, I can variegate the process rather than follow a routine, which is the rule in course books. The result is a convoluted venture which is, however, well worth undertaking.

I will illustrate.

·       Topic: reality shows

·       Warm-up questions (source: COMPLETE CAE Student’s Book page 77)
What do you think about reality shows in general? Choose one of these statements:
a.    “I don’t watch them but I don’t have any moral objections to them.”
b.   “I watch them and I don’t have any moral objections to them.”
c.    “I don’t watch them because I am worried by the ethics of some shows.”
d.   “I watch them but the ethics of some shows worry me.”
e.    “I don’t know/don’t care.”

·       Show video on BBC


·       Hand out the news story about Nicole Prince, the Australian reality TV star who won a landmark compensation case for being harassed.


·       I have created a derivatives exercise for my students and a few transformations which the students are supposed to do without looking at the text after they have finished reading it and completed the gaps with the right form of the words in capitals.

·       The first transformation brings to the students’ attention a structure which they don’t normally find in advanced grammars as there is so much you can categorise and include in a grammar. This is: Something is yet to + passive infinitive
You can follow this up with more practice:

They have not confirmed the date yet.
The date
We haven’t determined the extent of the damage yet.
The extent of the damage
They haven’t signed the contract yet.
The contract


·       The vocabulary exercise provides plenty of practice on the new vocabulary. I always include lexical items which I have already taught in the past but need to reinforce.

·       Finally, the derivatives exercise brought to mind an excellent semantic questionnaire by Mario Rinvolucri and Paul Davis in their resource book More Grammar Games.


The end result is a much more stimulating and enriching experience for the students.



No comments:

Post a Comment